GIS Tips & Tricks

A weblog dedictated to the lifelong pursuit of cartographic bliss in GIS.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Creating a Unique ID field in ArcMAP

The other day my friendly coworker, Karen, asked me if I knew how to create a unique id field for a dataset in ArcMAP. I remembered doing this before but I couldn’t remember exactly how since I typically still use ArcINFO TABLES for this process…I know that some of you may find it tragic that I continue to bang away at my keyboard using command line but somethings are still way more efficient that way. So anyway..to answer Karen’s question I had to consult the mighty ESRI Knowledge Base and as is often the case the question had already been asked.

Basically, you need to add a numeric field and calculate values using the VBA code available at this ESRI Technical Article link

Hopefully this was helpful Karen?

5 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    FID + 1 in the field calculator is so much easier

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Every time I hear "command line" I think of this -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b04pKO_698

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Blogger Dan said…

    Ha. Thanks OP and Michelle- yes its much easier- straightforward and pleasing to use FID +1. To get to that stage use the first few steps at the page the Original Poster suggested.

     
  • At 3:51 AM, Blogger Dan said…

    Just checked and the link takes to apassword page- future searchers: use the first few steps as suggested here (HowTo: Create a sequential unique ID field equivalent):
    http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/27427

    then use Michelles FID +1 suggestion
    Hope it helps. It helped me use the wonderful Hawths' tools - free arcGIS tools.

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OP, you forgot the : in your hyperlink.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home